Watch how parents react and ultimately come to terms with their Down syndrome child. Use this video to spark a discussion about unconditional love and accepting people for who they are.
In this clip, parents describe their initial reaction to hearing the news that their firstborn son was born with Down syndrome. The couple realized they would have to let go of many of the dreams and expectations they had for their firstborn. They learned to love their son for who he is, not for what he can accomplish.
- What expectations do you have of your friends? What do you expect from your family members? Would you love them even if they didn't fulfill these expectations?
- What does it mean to love a person "for who they are"?
- If you love everyone for who they are, is it possible to love one person more than another?
- On what basis do you love yourself? Do you love yourself for who you are, or is your love and acceptance of yourself dependent on meeting certain standards or accomplishing certain things? What if you didn't live up to your own expectations? Would you still love yourself?
- Did you ever have to learn to let go of your expectations? If so, how did you do it?
- What advice would you give to help another person let go of their expectations for themselves or for other people?